Monday, December 31, 2007

Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-69 (by Stephen E. Ambrose)*

The title is a pretty accurate description of the book. It focuses just on the construction of the transcontinental railroad - that's right 432 pages about the details, rich details, of the transcontinental railroad. No discussion about the implications or effects of the railroad, simply a discription, a 432 page description, of building the railroad...

I enjoyed the first few chapters and the chapters about the Church and it's members. However, it is a dense book that in the middle was hard to finish because of the rich detail that it covered. I think I only finished it to say that I did. If you have some reason to care passionately about the railroad this will be interesting - otherwise I think it will be a tough read to finish because of all the detail.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

I read the Mormon chapter of this book a few years ago and found it interesting. But I'm glad to hear I don't need to read the rest of the book.